Current:Home > reviewsTrump’s lawyers seek to postpone his classified documents trial until after the 2024 election -AssetPath
Trump’s lawyers seek to postpone his classified documents trial until after the 2024 election
EchoSense View
Date:2025-04-06 20:03:53
WASHINGTON (AP) — Lawyers for former President Donald Trump have asked a judge to postpone his classified documents trial until after next year’s presidential election, saying they have not received all the records they need to review to prepare his defense.
The trial on charges of illegally hoarding classified documents, among four criminal cases the Republican former president is facing, is currently scheduled for May 20, 2024, in Florida.
In a motion filed late Wednesday, Trump’s lawyers urged U.S. District Judge Aileen Cannon to push back the trial until at least mid-November 2024. The presidential election is set for Nov. 5, 2024, with Trump currently leading the GOP field in the months before the primary season.
The defense lawyers argued that a postponement was necessary because of scheduling conflicts — another federal trial is scheduled for March 2024 in Washington, and one of Trump’s attorneys, Christopher Kise, is also representing him in an ongoing civil fraud trial in New York — and because of what they say are delays in obtaining and reviewing the classified records cited in special counsel Jack Smith’s indictment.
“The Special Counsel’s Office has not provided some of the most basic discovery in the case,” said the motion from Kise and another Trump attorney, Todd Blanche. “Given the current schedule, we cannot understate the prejudice to President Trump arising from his lack of access to these critical materials months after they should have been produced.”
The defense lawyers said they have access to only a “small, temporary facility” in Miami to review classified documents, an arrangement that they say has slowed the process.
Prosecutors with the special counsel last week suggested that the Trump team was seeking unreasonable delays in the case. Though they acknowledged a “slightly longer than anticipated timeframe” for certain procedural steps, the prosecutors said it was false to accuse them of delaying the production of evidence in the case.
They said some of the delays were beyond their control and were due in part to the fact that defense lawyers had lacked the “necessary read-ins to review all material” provided by the government.
The Justice Department says it has so far provided about 1.28 million pages of unclassified documents and has turned over the majority of classified evidence that it anticipates producing. By Friday, prosecutors said, they will provide much of the remaining outstanding classified evidence.
“This production will include certain materials that Defendants have described as outstanding, including audio recordings of interviews and information related to the classification reviews conducted in the case,” prosecutors wrote.
The indictment accuses Trump of illegally retaining at his Palm Beach, Florida, estate, Mar-a-Lago, reams of classified documents taken with him after he left the White House in 2021 and then repeatedly obstructing government efforts to get the records back. He has pleaded not guilty and has denied any wrongdoing.
The defense lawyers say Trump’s two co-defendants in the case, his valet Walt Nauta and Mar-a-Lago property manager Carlos De Oliveira, are joining in the request.
___
Follow Eric Tucker on X at http://www.twitter.com/etuckerAP.
veryGood! (63179)
Related
- What were Tom Selleck's juicy final 'Blue Bloods' words in Reagan family
- Vermont police launch manhunt for 'armed and dangerous' suspect after woman found dead
- Giraffe poop seized at Minnesota airport from woman planning to make necklace out of it
- Ancient gold treasures depicting Norse gods unearthed in Norway: A very special find
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- 'Brooklyn Crime Novel' explores relationships among the borough's cultures and races
- 'I questioned his character': Ex-Ravens GM Ozzie Newsome on why he once grilled Travis Kelce
- DJ Moore might be 'pissed' after huge night, but Chicago Bears couldn't be much happier
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- 3 bears are captured after sneaking into a tatami factory as northern Japan faces a growing problem
Ranking
- 2025 'Doomsday Clock': This is how close we are to self
- William Friedkin's stodgy 'Caine Mutiny' adaptation lacks the urgency of the original
- Getting a $7,500 tax credit for an electric car will soon get a lot easier
- EU summit to look at changes the bloc needs to make to welcome Ukraine, others as new members
- At site of suspected mass killings, Syrians recall horrors, hope for answers
- Karol G honored for her philanthropy at Billboard Latin Music Awards with Spirit of Hope Award
- Stock market today: Asian benchmarks mostly rise in subdued trading on US jobs worries
- Zimbabwe announces 100 suspected cholera deaths and imposes restrictions on gatherings
Recommendation
All That You Wanted to Know About She’s All That
Jailed Iranian activist Narges Mohammadi wins Nobel Peace Prize
Biden administration to extend border wall touted by Trump: 5 Things podcast
Chris Hemsworth Shares Lifestyle Changes After Learning of Increased Risk of Alzheimer’s Disease
2025 'Doomsday Clock': This is how close we are to self
Police issue arrest warrant for 19-year-old acquaintance in death of Philadelphia journalist
North Korea provides Russia artillery for the Ukraine war as U.S. hands Kyiv ammunition seized from Iran
Police officers won't face charges in fatal shooting of protester at 'Cop City'